If you can imagine it, we can create it!
For each of our featured projects, we provide a bit of background on the client’s request and the challenges we faced in meeting those requests (as well as the project outcome).
Hippos in Quogue!
It’s not often that a Hamptons client calls us and asks for a “hippo habitat”, but we received a call from an existing client asking for just that. It turns out that the client had a love of hippos and had bought a life-sized hippo which she wanted to make a focal point on a newly purchased property (adjacent to their existing summer residence property). We worked through several installation phases with the following successfully incorporated into the landscape installation:
- A clearing in the center portion of the property, leaving the bulk of the perimeter in its natural state for both privacy and as part of the natural “habitat”
- A transition point from the gardens on the existing property to the habitat on the new property
- A water feature for the family of hippos (the family expanded from one to three during the course of the project)
- A seating area with fire pit (positioned for hippo viewing)
- A rustic guest house with privacy screening
- Deer fencing to keep the local deer population out of both properties
This client certainly thinks outside the box - we can’t wait for the next call!
New Waterfront with a Front Door Access Issue
We were asked to provide a mature-looking landscape for a brand new house located on a relatively narrow bay-front lot. Seemed simple enough, but there was one issue which the builder also needed us to solve. When he built the house and garage, the living space entrances were built (as required) at an elevated second story height, but the square footage of the house and garage had used up all of the allowed lot coverage, leaving the builder without the ability to use a carpentry structure to access the front door! He needed a pervious structure to provide access to the front door of the house and to connect the front of the house to the second floor living space above the garage. We provided the following, meeting all of their requirements:
- Mature wind-tolerant and salt-tolerant screening trees
- An upper-level planter with screening trees to provide upper deck privacy
- A multitude of perennials and annuals
- A pervious masonry staircase to enter the residence
- A pervious landscape timber structure between the residence and garage, allowing access between the two structures without impacting the property’s lot coverage restrictions
This house sold at a premium price very shortly after being listed!
Renovated Waterfront with a Height Problem
Due to local building code requirements, the first floor of this fully renovated waterfront home was elevated to about 9’ above the existing grade, making the house look “ridiculously tall” per the homeowner. We were asked by the homeowner to “anchor this to the ground somehow”. Our project scope included:
- Driveway installation over septic system
- Salt-tolerant and deer-tolerant plant selections
- Screening trees along road and septic wall for privacy
- Native plant buffer and splash pad along bulkhead, per building permit requirements
- Raised masonry patio, using extension of septic wall as foundation
- Masonry planters along front foundation
- Stucco finish on septic wall
- PVC lattice installation to provide a finished look around decking
- PVC railing system installation
While we couldn’t change the height of the structure, the homeowner is delighted that the plantings on top of and along the side of the septic wall make the house look like it belongs exactly where it is, complete with spectacular views.
Landscape Design, Landscape Construction, and Landscape Maintenance Services for The Hamptons
Over the past decade, Dragonfly Landscape Design has designed and installed landscaping and hardscaping projects of all sizes and scopes in the greater Westhampton area (Eastport, Remsenburg, Westhampton, Westhampton Beach, Westhampton Dunes, Quiogue, Quogue, East Quogue, Hampton Bays), the Town of Southampton, the North Fork, and neighboring communities. We’ve built an outstanding reputation for the beauty and style of our designs, the quality of our work, and our ability to exceed our clients’ expectations.
We are here to deliver professional service, local expertise, and responsive customer support for your landscaping projects.