Beautiful Landscapes and lawns don't just happen
Attractive landscapes require regular upkeep to keep them looking their best. Beautiful lawns and plants don’t stay that way just because we want them to - beautiful lawns and plants result from hours of ongoing and specialized care.
At Dragonfly Landscape Design we offer expert services to maintain (or improve) the beauty and vitality of your lawn, plants, and shrubs season after season. We also offer supplemental programs to ensure your enjoyment of your outdoor spaces. These programs include:
- Lawn health care services
- Tree and shrub health care services
- Tick and flea control programs
- Mosquito management programs
- Mole and vole repellent programs
- Deer and rabbit deterrent programs
These programs are designed to support our landscape maintenance services, landscape design services, and landscape construction projects and are tailored to meet the needs of the specific plants on your property. Our programs are:
- Plant focused
- Property specific
- Cost effective
- Environmentally sensitive
- Designed with family and pets in mind!
Organic or Non-Organic Fertilizers?
Ask most gardeners whether they prefer organic or non-organic fertilizers, and chances are strong that you’ll spark a lively debate.
- Organic fertilizers are usually made from plant or animal waste or powdered minerals
- Non-organic fertilizers (also called inorganic, chemical synthetic, artificial, or manufactured fertilizers) have been refined to extract nutrients and bind them in specific ratios with other fillers. Some of the chemicals may be naturally occurring, but the difference is that the nutrients in chemical fertilizers are refined to their pure state.
However, if you could ask your plants whether they prefer organic or non-organic fertilizers, you would likely find out that at the most basic level, your plants really can’t tell the difference – nutrients are nutrients. Yet, there ARE significant differences between organic and non-organic fertilizers in terms of nutrient availability and the long-term effects on soil, plants, and the environment.
So how does a conscientious gardener decide?
Key Advantages of Organic Fertilizers:
- In addition to releasing nutrients, as organic fertilizers break down, they improve the structure of the soil and increase the soil's ability to hold water and nutrients. Over time, organic fertilizers will make your soil (and plants) healthy and strong
- Since they are the ultimate slow-release fertilizers, it’s very difficult to over-fertilize your plants with organic fertilizers
- Organic fertilizers are renewable, biodegradable, sustainable, and environmentally friendly
Key Disadvantages of Organic Fertilizers:
- Microorganisms are required to break down and release nutrients into the soil. Since they need warmth and moisture to do their job, the effectiveness of organic fertilizers is limited seasonally
- Organic fertilizers break down according to nature’s rules, so they may not release nutrients as soon as you need them. You have to be patient – you won’t see improvement overnight
Key Advantages of Non-Organic Fertilizers:
- Since nutrients in non-organic fertilizers are available to plants immediately, improvement often occurs in days
- Non-organic fertilizers are highly analyzed to produce the exact ratio of nutrients desired
Key Disadvantages of Non-Organic Fertilizers:
- Non-organic fertilizers are primarily made from non-renewable sources, including fossil fuels
- Non-organic fertilizers grow plants but they do little to sustain the soil
- Non-organic fertilizers tend to break down faster, requiring additional applications
- Long-term use of non-organic fertilizers can change the soil pH and upset beneficial microbial ecosystems
Living in Harmony with Nature
At Dragonfly Landscape Design, our programs are often a blend of organic and non-organic products to achieve a balance between the timely performance of materials and the cultivation of the soil ecosystem. Our integrated applications are prepared at the minimum effective rate and precisely targeted to avoid over use. We take great care with our programs and use organic materials and programs whenever possible because we believe that it is important to live in harmony with nature. (But, we also know that sometimes a shot of non-organic fertilizer or insecticide is necessary to address certain issues.) We make these choices carefully, with safety and environmental sensitivity in mind.
Labels for the products we use to support your lawn and plant health care can be found on the resources page of this website.
Improving the Health & Vitality of Landscapes in the Hamptons
We serve the residents in the greater Westhampton area (Eastport, Remsenburg, Westhampton, Westhampton Beach, Westhampton Dunes, Quiogue, Quogue, East Quogue) and neighboring communities. We are here to deliver professional service, local expertise, and responsive customer support for all your landscaping needs.
Call us at (631) 288-8158, contact us or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to keep your landscape healthy and happy!