Landscape Pests be Gone!
Do these scenarios sound familiar, annoying, or even frightening?
- You're sitting by your outdoor fireplace minding your own business when a flock of mosquitoes start buzzing around making you run for the hills and give up an evening of marshmallow toasting
- You're admiring your beautiful garden design when you spy dozens of lumpy pathways across your lawn
- You look out a window (or on your security cameras) and watch a herd of deer eating your hydrangeas to the ground
- You watch your children playing on the lawn all afternoon only to discover the terror of a tick at bathtime!
Dragonfly Landscape Design also offers a number of organic pest deterrent programs designed to protect you from local pests to ensure your enjoyment of your outdoor living space. These programs include:
- Organic tick and flea control programs
- Organic mole and vole repellent programs
- Organic deer and rabbit deterrent programs
- Organic mosquito management programs
And because we provide these in house with our own team, we can easily coordinate all program applications with scheduled landscape maintenance.
Organic Tick & Flea Control
Residential Tick Control
Lymes disease and other tick-borne diseases are on the rise in the United States. Ticks are commonly found in wooded or high-grass areas, but they can thrive in any backyard where there is grass, shrubbery, or leaves on the ground. Ticks can also be transported into populated areas and neighborhoods by deer and rodents. For these reasons, backyard tick control is becoming more important than ever.
The Dragonfly Landscape Design team highly recommends our organic tick and flea program for ALL residences. Our program includes six applications throughout the season and targets the ticks’ habitats of woodland edges and perimeter areas where the lawn meets ornamental plantings, providing consistent control to reduce exposure to ticks.
Tick Safe Zone
In addition to professional tick control, there are several steps you can take to create a "tick-safe zone" on your property. According to the Centers for Disease Control, you should:
- Remove leaf litter
- Clear tall grasses and brush around homes and at the edge of lawns
- Place a 3 foot wide barrier of wood chips or gravel between lawns and wooded areas to restrict tick migration into recreational areas
- Mow lawns frequently
- Stack wood neatly and in a dry area to discourage rodents
- Keep playground equipment, decks, and patios away from yard edges and trees
- Discourage unwelcome animals (deer, raccoons, and stray dogs) from entering your yard by constructing fences or using appropriate sprays
- Remove old furniture, mattresses, or trash from the yard that may give ticks a place to hide
Organic Mole & Vole Repellent
While you will rarely see a mole or vole, you can’t miss the signs when they are present on your property, and their destruction can be quite frustrating and exasperating:
- Grub and insect-eating moles leave volcano-like mounds and create tunnels just under the surface of your lawn, leaving unsightly visible ridges in your lawn
- Plant-eating voles excavate 2” wide holes and leave 2 inch wide paths across your lawn, but no mounds. While these visible paths are less bothersome, voles eat the roots and bulbs of plants and can do an amazing amount of plant damage in a very short time
Dragonfly Landscape Design offers an organic mole and vole repellent program which targets areas with visible damage as well as areas with plants that the voles prefer. And, our lawn health care programs include grub control (and getting rid of grubs denies moles of a preferred food source).
Organic Deer & Rabbit Deterrent
Land development and unchecked population growth have brought deer into our backyards on a daily basis. Deer identify a plentiful landscape and tend to stay close until the food sources are depleted or something prevents their continued browsing.
Damage to landscape plantings and ornamentals may occur year-round, but is usually most severe in the winter and early spring when natural food sources are limited. Dragonfly Landscape Design offers an integrated deer spraying program to deter both deer and rabbits from feeding on your lush landscape foliage (without harming the deer or your plants).
Ticks are also carried into your yard by deer and other wildlife. By deterring deer from your property, you also decrease the risk of contracting tick-borne illnesses near the home.
Our organic deer spraying program focuses on targeted plants to repel deer from browsing while also preventing future damage. After routine and consistent treatments, deer feeding habits are interrupted and they no longer will come on your property in search of food, opting to go elsewhere.
Should you require a more permanent solution, we also offer deer fencing!
Organic Mosquito Management
Dragonfly Landscape Design also offers an organic mosquito management program. Our program targets areas of harborage and breeding, including trees, shrubs, ground cover, under decks, bedding plants, etc. But, it is important to note that since mosquitoes are flying insects they are nearly impossible to eliminate on a property.
That said, our mosquito management program is most effective immediately following its application, so it is a great option immediately prior to a special event.
Mosquito - Special Event Treatments
Do you have an outdoor event planned? Don't let mosquitoes ruin your special day! From outdoor weddings and community events to backyard birthdays and family gatherings, mosquitoes don't have to be on the guest list. With just 48-hours' notice, Dragonfly Landscape Design can eliminate mosquitoes from your outdoor event space.
Three Ways to Keep mosquitoes Away
- Get rid of standing water - Puddles and hot tubs can be a lot of fun. Birdbaths are pretty to look at. You know what else they’re good for? Bringing new mosquitoes into the world. Female mosquitoes require stagnant water to lay their eggs. Deny them that, and they won’t settle down in your yard. Our advice: Empty bird baths once a week, fill or level any areas of your yard prone to puddles, and keep unused hot tubs securely covered.
- Plant mosquito-repelling flowers around your home - Flowers aren’t just for looking pretty - they can also keep mosquitoes away by just being themselves. A few good options for keeping bloodsuckers at bay are Marigolds, Lavender, Basil, Rosemary and lemon-scented Geraniums.
- Mow your lawn more often - Tall grass and weeds make great hideouts for mosquitoes. Mowing your lawn regularly will make your front and back yards less welcoming to mosquitoes.
Labels for the products we use to support your lawn and plant health care can be found on our Resources Page.
Protecting Hamptons Landscapes
We serve the residents in the greater Westhampton area (Remsenburg, Westhampton, Westhampton Beach, Westhampton Dunes, Quiogue, Quogue, East Quogue, Hampton Bays), the Town of Southampton, and neighboring communities. We are here to deliver professional service, local expertise, garden joy, and responsive customer support for your landscaping projects.